If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Friday, April 2, 2010

Social Cancer

You know what really grinds my gears? Twitter grinds my gears!

It is essentially the epitome of social networking gone wrong. For all of the old people that probably make up most of the people reading this right now, Twitter is a networking site that basically lets you update what you are doing. This starts off as a good idea, but it has been taken to an extreme.

Yesterday while browsing an archive of funny tweets, I stumbled upon one that inspired me to right this. It read, “Going to take a massive crap.” *shakes head* come on really? We are so far socially removed that we can tell the entire online world that we are going to use the bathroom?

Maybe it has to do with what the internet offers us, besides hours upon hours of entertainment, distractions, and scams that is. It provides a mask for us. It is of age old knowledge that you shouldn't trust what people say online. So how far does that statement go? To test this theory out, I went and made a few new emails. Not one single account asked me for any verifacation that what I was saying was true. So...is anybody safe online? Physically they are very safe. As long as they don't give out personal information that is. Like I was saying though, people are very safe. Which is why when reading things, you may stumble across millions of hateful comments. Go to youtube, and on any given video you can find hate comments. For example I found a video about a little girl who is fighting cancer, and her one wish was to get married. So her boyfriend and her mother decided that a ceramony would be the perfect surprise for her daughter. Long story short she got married to her boyfriend and her last wish was fulfilled. Two years later her cancer was gone. Then I scrolled down to the comments. Keep in mind that there are 31,000 comments on this single video. The second comment was from a youtuber named “XoCiaraX” and it read, “It is terrible for the guy who has to marry that ugly girl.”

That person would NEVER say that to somebodies face...I would hope at least. The internet is used as a weapon these days and it's really hurting us. Not long ago, a mom bullied a little girl into commiting suicide over Myspace. Just another example of what happens when we aren't forced to physically interact with people.

I am by no means bashing the internet. As you read this I am updating my Facebook status, sifting through my iTunes, and writing this blog! The internet is a bustling business. Google reported making $21.796 in revanue last year. SO, by no means is it defective. The internet is only going to grow larger and more dangerous as time goes on. It's being educated about how to stay safe online that seems important to me. Educate your kids, don't be stupid online, and don't lie. Now I will step off of my soap box!

No comments:

Post a Comment